Monday, October 17, 2011

Learning Experiences

Writing for the Headliner has been an interesting experience for me over the past several weeks. My first article was about an author who lives in Oak Bluff Manitoba. Her name is Shawnda Muir and the book she published is called Cancer Scores-a Hat Trick. Muir’s story is inspiring because her family had three cancer scares in six months. She and her husband were both diagnosed as well as her father all in six months. Her father unfortunately didn’t survive.

Muir has written a really inspirational book detailing how she stayed positive through her cancer journey. I was able to go to Muir’s book launch and take photos of her and it was super great to interview such a positive person. This was my first article I wrote for the Headliner. It was also great learning how to use the fabulous cameras at the library and actually take great photos as well as get them on my computer and send them out with cut lines. That was a learning experience in itself for me!

My second article was about a lady that lives in Headingly Manitoba who is a water conservation activist. She works for Waterlution that is a national nonprofit organization that promotes water awareness and conservation issues. Her name is Renne Bennett. Bennett tried the Water Conservation Challenge that required her to live on 30 liters of water a day for one month.

Bennett did this challenge in March 2011 to coincide with Water Awareness Month. It was really awesome listening to her stories about her experiences. Bennett lives in an apartment and didn’t have much control over what type of toilet she used. She found out that her toilet used 13 liters of water each time she flushed it. This really limited her water usage for other things! She was able to convince her landlord to put in a more water friendly toilet and now her toilet uses 6 liters of water each flush rather than 13 liters which she is very happy about. The water challenge also made her think about how long it took for her tap water to turn from cold water to hot water. She just boiled water for things after that. Plus, I was able to meet Kevin Freedman who was running in the election for Fort Gary/Riverview. He is the creator of the Water Challenge and he was super inspiring as he really cares about water conservation issues.

My third article that I am presently working on is about domestic violence. I pitched the idea of a domestic violence story to Prescott and he thought it was a great idea but had no idea how to find someone to interview. Prescott told me that the only way I could write about this topic would be if I could find someone from the RM’s that the Headliner went to that would be willing to open up and share his or her story. He basically said to me, happy hunting at the end of the email. So, I was determined and began my hunting process. I used to work at Osborne House before Crecomm so I knew there were ways in which I could connect with domestic violence survivors. The only thing is, I haven’t spoken to anyone there in a long time and my ex boss doesn’t work there anymore so I wasn’t sure if I should call again or not. So, I called anyway but I didn’t hear back for a little while and I had to keep on digging. I called everywhere from Klinic to the women shelters in Portage La Prairie and Selkirk. It was tricky because I wasn’t completely familiar with all the RM’s that the Headliner covered and all the shelters I was calling were out of those RM’s.

So, I came to a few dead ends but finally, I was able to connect with someone I used to work with at Osborne House that remembered me. She works with the clients after they leave Osborne House. She said that she had the perfect person in mind from an RM that the Headliner covered. I was so excited about this breakthrough. I really wanted to write the domestic violence article because I think the challenges to leave are different for rural rather than city women. I wanted to investigate this further. The individual I was able to interview said that rural women do have different challenges than city women. She said feelings of isolation and not being able to talk to anyone about your problems are more prevalent in smaller towns.

My contact told me she didn’t have a driver’s license either or any money so she was completely dependent on her husband for everything. She had to ask someone for a ride into the city when she was going to Osborne House and said that this was one of the hardest moments for her cause she had to tell someone for the first time.

I also was able to receive quotes from the Rural Farm Stress Line that really made my article show what rural women go through when they experience domestic violence. What I didn’t expect from writing this article would be managing the relationship of my source regarding her safety and the safety of her children with the needs of the news paper.

I was told that my article had legs and that they were thinking of placing the article on the front page of the newspaper. Here I am super excited that one of my articles may be on the front page but realizing, it might not make my subject feel safe. I thought I should ask her how she would feel about this as she just left her husband seven months ago. I am relieved I did because she wasn’t comfortable with the article being on the first page. I had to email my editor and let him know that she wasn’t comfortable about it. I was also worried because I didn’t want to upset my editor in doing this either. I had to respect my source and put myself in her shoes. She was willing to go out on a limb to tell her story and open up when she still had some reservations. I didn’t want her to feel concerned or regretful about doing this in anyway. It was such a learning experience for me to be in that position. I wanted to please the paper and my source all at the same time. I realized through this process that telling people's stories makes you more than a writer, it makes you a relationship manager too!

No comments:

Post a Comment