Saturday, February 4, 2012

Valentine’s Day Perspectives

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I wanted investigate how people of different ages react to Valentine's Day. I also wanted to see how how people celebrate the day. Finally, I wanted to learn how people respond to the media coverage that surrounds Valentine's Day and how this affects them.

Tammy Robinson, 32, program manager for Manitoba at the Co-op Housing Federation of Canada said she is a romantic at heart and loves Valentine’s Day.

“I like Valentine’s Day, I am a romantic at heart. I am going to spend it with the people that I adore. I have no specific plans yet though,” she said.

Robinson also feels that the holiday is commercialized.

“I think it is commercialized and the media tries to sell us this impossible dream of what it should be like. I do not have any Valentine’s Day traditions. I just try to be good to myself and the people around me - but I do that every day,” she said.

Rich McKinley, 40, and new dad, has a confession to make about what he’ll be doing this Valentine’s Day.

“Actually.... I'm embarrassed to say, I'm going to the Jets game with a buddy. But, I’ll definitely get my partner flowers…I love her tons. Love the Jest too!”, he said.

I interviewed a cousin of mine who lives in Los Angeles who is 60 years old. I wanted to get his perspective on the day. He asked that I keep his identity concealed.

“I am not doing anything for Valentine’s Day. I only acknowledge this day when I'm dating someone. I make a point of staying away from restaurants on this day because they are overpriced and jammed. How's that for a male point of view?”

Rafid Shahriyar, 20, lives in Bangladesh and is super excited about Valentine’s Day.

“It is a tradition in my country to buy gifts for your special one. Our media here doesn’t really make me feel pressured in any way to have to do something for the day,” he said.

From these responses, there is certainly a variety of different viewpoints about the day itself, what it represents and how the media plays a part as well. I think the important thing is to remember that the foundation of the holiday is to appreciate the one you love. So, to all of you out there, take a moment and appreciate your loved one this Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment