Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hiroshima Assignment

Hiroshima Assignment:

What works in this book?

I really enjoyed the wide range of characters in the book. The six people that John Hersey the author chose to focus on were very different and at different stages in their lives. In my opinion, this made the story more impactful. Each character went through their own experiences, reactions and perspectives including their invididual outcomes from experiencing the atomic bomb. All of the details used to describe these experiences were very clear and brought the characters to life.

Using the exact time to describe what each character was doing precisely when the bomb struck was a very impactful way to tie the story together and keep it consistent. This technique really made me feel like I was there with the characters every step of the way and made me invision how vulnerable Hiroshima was.

The intense descriptions of the injuries that the Hiroshema victims endured really impacted me. My first time reading it was hard as it was unimaginable that people could have even survived such a blast in the first place. The human triumph that Hersey wrote about that came from such horrifc circumstances was overwhelming as well as inspiring. The heroism Mr. Tanimoto displayed was unbelievable. How he was able to be so determined to help as many of his fellow men as he did under such stressful and unknown circumstances was incredible.

What didn’t work for me?

What didn't work for me in this book was the flip flopping back and forth of all the different characters because I found it very confusing. I had to read the names back a few times before I was able to follow the characters properly.

The pronunciations of their names also made me stumble before I became comfortable with them. I would have liked guidance on how to pronounce the names beside them the first time I read them.

The raw truth of it all I found difficult to absorb. On one hand, it made the story more real however, I found it very hard to read and digest at times because of how raw and gory the imagery was. It just disturbed me greatly to read that human beings could have done this to each other.

What can journalists learn from this book?

Journalists can learn about history from this book. They can use it as a reference guide for dates, as well as different organizational bodies that resulted from the tragedy.

From reading Hiroshima, journalists can learn how to write a human tragedy story without putting their own feelings or biases in it. I also think Hiroshima is an excellent resource for a journalist to refer to if he or she needs to learn how to organize factual information on a a large scale. Hiroshima is very thoughtful as far as how it is laid out and organized. Hersey is also very effective in his writing techniques to describe passages of time that move the story along.

How does it compare to another non-fiction work of your choice in any medium?

I can see similarities between John Hersey’s writing style and Mike McIntyre’s writing style especially in McIntyre’s book To The Grave that was the inside look of a spectacular RCMP sting operation. At first, I was not sure how to answer this question but when I started to give it some thought I remembered McIntyre’s writing style is similar to Hersey’s.

In both situations, both authors had enormous amounts of information to organize. They both used the same technique in so far as using specifics such as pertinent times of day or dates to not only create passages of time but to actually organize events and information.

I also found in both pieces of work, the authors kept their own biases out of their writing and kept to the facts and details of the story they were telling. This allowed the reader freedom to come to conclusions and theories about what was actually happening or going to happen in their own.

How was this Hiroshima received when it was published in the New Yorker in 1946?

From researching this question online, I came across an essay written by Steve Rothman back in 1997 when he was a student studying at Harvard University. In his essay, Rothman said that Hiroshima first started out as an article that ended up being 31,000 words in length and it took over the entire magazine.

The story was to be published in August 1946, on the one-year anniversary of the dropping of the bomb. Rothman said the New Yorker published the article in its August 31,1946 issue. The book Hiroshima was published the same year the article came out, 1946.

It was updated in 1985 to tell the stories of the six main characters 40-years later. Rothman said the article created a blast in the publishing world. Rothman also said that The New Yorker sold out immediately, and requests for reprints poured in from all over the world. Following publication, "Hiroshima" was read on the radio in the United States and abroad.

What effect did reading Hiroshima have on you?

It was hard reading Hiroshima to think such devastation would have been acceptable in our world. It really brought home how vulnerable we are to each other’s actions. It also reminded me that we are all human no matter what colour or race or language we speak. The terror of that day, the unknown and the baffling fear of what happened to those poor people is saddening and sobering and thank goodness Hiroshima is there to remind us all of the horror of nuclear weapons and war.

It makes me appreciate peace and my own safety as I wake up every day and fall asleep each night under a warm blanket in a safe place. It also made me proud to be a Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment