Friday, November 11, 2011

Phone Interview Jitters

For my latest Canstar article, I had to interview a big wig from RHA. My interview was to discuss congregate meal programs in rural areas of Manitoba. I had this interviewed scheduled for about a week. When the day finally came, I wrote down my questions, how I got my contacts information and made sure I had the five w’s in question format in front of me.

I also wanted to make sure I had a quiet location where I could interview my subject. I went to school a bit early to make sure I could find the appropriate space. I wasn’t able to find a single breakout room available on any floor. I did manage to find the boardroom on the 4th floor, before I used it, I phoned the number on the door to make sure I could use the space.

The person who answered thanked me for calling before I used it and also informed me of the student boardroom that is available to students on the second floor. I was told that you have to book this space from Klara but students are free to use it plus, I believe it is a private room. The boardroom I used on the fourth floor had walls that did not touch the ceiling so it wasn’t a sound proof area. I never knew about the student board room so I just wanted to share that with you.

I had the phone number of my contact written out in front of me along with my questions and I was ready to go. I had to call my source at 1:00pm so I was counting the minutes down on my phone and reviewing my questions. The time finally came when I was supposed to call and I picked up the phone and dialed. I felt a bit nervous at this point but I was able to go through with the call.

My source picked up the phone right away. She needed clarification about why I was calling her and the publication I was writing for so I told her that information and I was able to proceed with the questioning. What I didn’t like was how nervous I soon became. My voice even sounded different to me when I was speaking and that threw me right off.

I also find it very frustrating because I don’t know short hand and I find it hard to keep up with my source while I am writing information down. I always let them know ahead of time that I might have to ask them to repeat themselves upfront to make sure I capture what they are saying accurately. I just really get frustrated with myself having to do this.

I really wish I learned short hand because I am really feeling that would be an invaluable skill. I really do not like doing phone interviews for this reason but I know I have to get used to doing them and find a way that works for me.

I heard a funny saying today called Run on Ralphs and I really have to say, those are the worst. Especially for someone like me with the frustration expressed above. I have done sales in the past and have been trained to focus the conversation and not be afraid to ask for the sale so I am thinking that perhaps I have to use some of those same techniques for my phone interviews. I think I might always feel a bit nervous about phone interviews. When you are not nervous, doesn’t that mean you are too complaisant? Isn’t being a bit nervous an indicator that you care about if you do a good interview?

I am not sure as I am a student learning and this process is a journey. While I was interviewing my source, I did ask her if it would be alright with her to exchange emails should I have any questions while I am writing the article about her piece. She did agree. I asked her if I would be able to email her what I had written about her part to ensure accuracy and she said that would be fine.

I ended up writing out the quotes I was going to use and then sent them off to her for her review and she emailed me back the same afternoon with just a few minor changes in the quotes. So now, I feel confident in the quotes I captured and will submit. I realize that this won’t be possible every time but it worked out well for me this time around.

If any of you have telephone interview jitters, please leave a comment or share with me your tactics to combat your fears. I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment