Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why Career Search on Saturday?

Hello to all of my fabulous followers.  I hope all of you are doing well.  I wanted to connect with you today to let you know a job searching tip. Saturday is the best day out of the week if you are looking for a career position or a job for. Some of you may be thinking Saturday for job hunting?  What is this person talking about?  It is true and I will explain why.

One thing you wonderful followers will get to understand about me is that I don't like assuming anything.  There is a saying I learned way back when that ASSUME makes and ass out of you and me.  I worked retail for about ten years and this saying was part of every customer service training workshop I had to take.  It stuck with me. 

Some of you have may have or not heard of Workopolis.  I will give a brief explanation of what it is just in case. Workopolis is a very useful job searching site.  I always check Workopolis.  It really has a comprehensive list of jobs for every sector.  I feel comfortable saying that Workopolis is probably the biggest job bank in Canada.   The URL for Workopolis is www.workopolis.com.  Workopolis is always updated on Saturdays.  Sometimes, it doesn't get updated until the evening so just have patience.  You can always tell if it is updated or not by the date that is displayed on the right hand side of the posting. 

There are several helpful tabs on Workopolis.  Under the Career Resources tab, you can learn about the latest news and advice regarding job searching, you can use the salary calculator, you can find resume writing tips and learn about education or training opportunities.  You can also post your resume online to ensure you are in front of employers.  I highly suggest saving this site to your favourites and make it part of your Saturday routine. Even though some of you may currently be in school and not actively looking, it is very helpful to look at job postings that you are interested in.  This way, you can see what employers are looking for and use your job posting as a guide to acquire the right skills you may need to get land your dream job in the future. It also is a great visual aid to motivate yourself to stay focused to reach your goals.

The Winnipeg Free Press is another useful resource for career searching.  The career section in the Winnipeg Free Press comes out every Saturday.  Sometimes, the section is smaller and other times it is fuller.  It all depends on sevaral reasons such as who is hiring, what time of year it is.  Several variables can impact this though. The Free Press career section is a mixture of specific career positions along with general jobs opportunities.  The career positions usually have a larger posting containing what employers are looking for.   If you are unable to pick up the paper on Saturday, don't panic.  I found out that 7-Eleven stores usually keep the papers that don't sell on Saturday for an extra day.

I hope you found these job searching tips helpful.  I know I would always look forward to Saturdays to find new opportunities to apply for when I was on my job search.  Good luck and happy searching!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, but when you get the job, don't drop out of CreComm, OK? Ha, ha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the good old days of seaching the want ads in the Winnipeg Free Press. Glad we have a two year break from that! Hee!Hee!

    ReplyDelete