Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creative Networking

Hello my fantabulous followers.  I hope you are enjoying the exceptionally nice weather for November.  For those of you who are working, you will probably wish you had the day off!

For those of you who are not working, enjoy today and get outside.  That is one thing I forgot to do when I was unemployed.  I was so worried about finding a job or finding the new direction my life would take that I forgot to appreciate the free time I had. I wouldn't allow myself to enjoy this time because I was too determined to get back on track. When I wasn't determined, I was usually depressed and moped all day.

I remember what I did get a high out of was creative networking. I remember that I cold called people that I thouht would be able to help me with my career search. I cold called Bob Silver who since 1980 he has been the President of Western Glove Works, a Winnipeg based private company involved in the manufacturing and merchandising of casual apparel and co-owner and director of Western Glove Works and Warehouse One (a Winnipeg based retail clothing chain).

How this came to be was, Mr. Silver was saying a speech about the power of a university education and that there is no reason why anyone with a UofW degree couldn't succeed. We were both at a fundraising dinner for The University of Winnipeg. I was very inspired by his speech but jaded at the same time. I am a University of Winnipeg graduate twice over with an undergraduate degree from the main campus along with a management diploma from the division of continuing education. I listened to his words and thought, why am I struggling  and unemployed when I have done all the right things.

I decided to cold call Bob Silver and ask him that very question. I remember this vividly. My hands were trembling when I dialed the numbers on the phone. I knew what I wanted to say but I wasn't sure how the words would come out. I thought I would get a gatekeeper but I didn't, he answered the phone. I took a deep breath and introduced myself. I informed him that I was at the dinner he spoke at and was inspired by his speech and hoped his words were true. I told him that  it wasn't true for me at this stage in my life and was wonering if he would be interested in meeting for coffee to assist me on my career search. Low and behold, Mr. Silver agreed. I met him at Western Glove and brought my resume with me. He looked it over and we had a nice chat.

I wanted to share this story with you because this is what I call creative networking. This will happen to you on your career search if you are open to it. When you are out at events, be aware of what people are giving speeches, mark down their names, titles, parts of their speech you liked or didn't like. Afterwards, google them and find their contact information. Research where they work so you know a bit about their background. Try to make a connection between you and the person you are wanting to cold call. When you are successful at that, try to think about what you are going to say before you dial or email. Have the points in front of you before you make contact. Don't do what I did and risk it.

I promise you, that if you do this on your career search, you will get a high from it and impress yourself. It feels great when you make contacts that you never thought were possible. You have to make these possible.

You also practice your cold calling skills and keep them fresh by doing this exercise. In my opinion, creative networking is another tactic to use to tap into the hidden job market. Next time you are at a luncheon, or a fundraising dinner, bring a pad of paper with you and write important names and points down that interest or inspire you. Put your investigative hat on and you never know who you will end up meeting!  This is how to make your career search exciting.
Take care,
Anrea

No comments:

Post a Comment