Thursday, November 4, 2010

Transition Tips

Hello my wonderful followers.  I hope you all had a great week.  Thank you for checking in with my blog and spending your valuable time with me. I thought of an organization that I wanted to inform you about today. Some of you will probably have heard of it or even utilized the programs and services they offer already  When I was unemployed, I went through their programs and really enjoyed them.

Tho organization I am discussing today is the Winnipeg Transition Centre. They offer an Employment Assistance Resource Service known as EARS. This program is funded by Employment Manitoba and can help you find work for free if you are unemployed.  I found the staff at the Winnipeg Transition Centre to be very positive and informed. The Employment Councillors there make your job search an uplifting experience.

A funded workshop with trained facilitators help you with your transition provding you with  training exercises that really get to know your strength and weaknesses. Free interview coaching and job search skills are also provided. I participated in a one week workshop and really enjoyed the interview coaching aspect. What was really useful was that they video taped you while you were on a mock interview. After the interview, you watched how you presented yourself. I found this exercise to be very insightful. At times, I was shy to see the footage but I knew it would only help me better my interview skills.

In the workshop, you also learned about resume writing and how to tap into the hidden job market. The Centre says that 85% of jobs are not advertised.  According to WTC, the term “Hidden Job Market” refers to the jobs that are never advertised. Advertised jobs, such as those listed in newspapers, job search sites such as workopolis.com and job boards such as the Government of Canada job bank, only account for about 15% of all the jobs available at any given time. The other 85% are “hidden."

WTC also provides self marketing skills training. With how important networking is to be competitive these days, this is such a necessary skill.

WTC is located at 1836 Main Street and their phone number is 338-3899. Please check them out online at http://www.winnipegtransitioncentre.com/ . You may not need their services now but you never know. You can also help someone who is unemployed by sharing this information with them.

Have a wonderful remainder of the week!
Kindly,
Anrea

No comments:

Post a Comment