Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Power of Open Ended Questions

Hello to you, my wonderfully charming followers. I hope you had a nice weekend. I was supposed to blog on Friday but I didn't. I aplogize to you for that. I did attempt to write but I had a horrible dose of the writer's blog block. I just didn't want to write for the sake of writing. I wanted to ensure I had something to say. My topic came to me just now and I do believe it is an interesting one that we can all mull over.

Think back in your lives when you first started learning about open ended questions. Open ended questions are those that do not stimulate a yes or no answer. Think about how you converse with your family and friends. Think about how you ask questions to foster two way communication with people in your lives.

When was it for you?  For me, it was working retail for close to a decade. In all customer service training I had, I was always told to use open ended questions to start conversations with customers. In retail these questions are called probing questions. Examples of some probing questions are, "Who are you shopping for today."

Now that I am taking a jounalism couse in the Creaive Communicaons program a Red River college, We have been told to use open ended questioning in our interview process.

When you are on job searches and in an interview, open ended questions will be asked. "Tell me about a time when," is a good example of an open ended interview question.

It i good to create the questions that you will ask your potential employer in the open ended style as well. This way you are encouraging two way communicaion, look interested in the company and allow yourself the oppotunity to stand out from the rest as this technique will build rapport.

Before you head out to your next inteview, I suggest that you think of a few open ended questions to ask.  Once you get used to thinking in open ended questions, they will pop of your tongue!

Good luck and happy questioning!

1 comment:

  1. An open-ended question for CreComms: who are you writing for today?
    Or perhaps: For whom are you writing today?

    ReplyDelete