Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turning a Negative into A Positive

Hello my wonderful followers. I hope you are able to move around in the terrible cold. To make your life easier while you are on the hunt, I challene to think about ways you can turn this situation into a positive one.
Take this time to think about what you actually want to do. Think about what type of work environment you would thrive the most in. While you are looking at job postings, take a look at the skill sets you don't have on the list and try to find out how you can get them.

The reason I say this is because when you are on EI, your training opportunities are vast. If you visit a Employment Manitoba office, you will go through steps that can help you secure funding for a course you may want to take for example. Take my situation for example. I has been working at Osborne House four days a week as their Community Development and Partnerships Coordinator. I was there for about a year and a bit when my position when down to two days a week. I couldn't live on that and eventually I decided to leave. I employed for Employment Insurance and was successful. I decided to research what options were avilable to me as far as training and went to the Manitoba Employment office at 3338 Portage Avenue. I made an appointment and was told to come back for an information session that was held on Wednesday mornings. After that, I met with an Employment Councillor.
I knew exactly what course I was interested in and that sped up the process especially to that I had already been accepted into the program. My councillor was great as she encouraged me to return to school and said that she would be able to provide me with a living allowance so I wouldn't have to work part time. I have been able to change my life because of this opportunity. I hope you can take your situation and turn a negative situation into a positive situation. It can really change the direction you thought your life would go. There are a few Employment Manitoba offices in Winnipeg. Thir main phone number is 204-945-0575. They are online at:www.gov.mb.ca/employment.
Good luck!
Anrea

No comments:

Post a Comment